The second week on the lathe involved fitting two pieces together to make a mallet. I went with a simple design since I was starting from square pieces of wood and just getting them round took a bit of time.
I used a similar piece of wood for the handle that I used for the previous week’s assignment. I rounded that up and then used the parting tool on the live end to get the diameter close to the appropriate size for the hole that I was going to drill in the mallet head.
I rounded that up, made my marks for the three holes, and went over to the drill press.
I used a 7/8” spade bit to make the hole for the handle.
Then I used a 1/4” bit for the dowel holes. I then cut the excess length off of the head and went back to the lathe to sand a bit. I also finished the handle to make sure it would fit properly and be held securely in place by the dowels.
I then went back to the drill press and make the hole in the handle.
And here is the finished mallet!